How to submit an abstract
Thank you very much for your interest in the EGU General Assembly 2018. Please follow the guidelines on this page for the submission of your abstract. The abstract deadline is 10 January 2018, 13:00 CET. Please note that an abstract processing charge (APC) of €40 gross per abstract is levied. As of last year, the APC is also charged for abstracts submitted to the programme group Educational and Outreach Symposia (EOS). Abstracts submitted to the GIFT workshop are exempted from this rule.
- Use a text editor of your choice to compile your abstract: title, author(s), affiliation(s) of author(s), and abstract text. Your abstract body should have 100–500 words;
- Browse through the session programme and select the session of your interest;
- Use the abstract submission link at the respective session. Please keep in mind that submission of the same abstract to more than one sessions is not allowed. Duplicates will be rejected;
- You will be asked to log in to the Copernicus Office Meeting Organizer. Use your account data or create a new account;
- Fill in the submittal information about title, author(s), and affiliation(s) of author(s);
- Choose between plain text, LaTeX, or Word content with regard to the abstract text;
- Please remember that a LaTex submission only refers to general LaTex commands directly inserted in the form (e.g. formatting commands like superscripts and subscripts, and special characters). Style packages and environment commands cannot be considered and must not be included in the form;
- Copy-and-paste your information into the form or download and use the WORD template;
- Select your preference for poster presentation or for oral presentation (see the first author rule below). However, there is no guarantee that an oral preference can be realized. If a session is identified as a PICO session, the oral/poster preference cannot be selected;
- Accept the licence & copyright agreement as well as the rules of conduct and proceed to the abstract preview;
- Check the generated PDF file of your edited and formatted abstract. Please note that this PDF is only a preview file (indication "PREVIEW" is highlighted in the abstract header) in order to enable you to check the input. Close the PDF preview and click on "Payment" to proceed;
- In case of a successful submission, a confirmation message including your abstract number will be displayed and you will receive an abstract submission confirmation email;
- If the conversion of your abstract fails, please specify your problems and we will then take care of them;
- In any case, please indicate your invoice details for the APC (see below) as well as your payment method (credit card or PayPal);
- Submit your abstract. You will receive a confirmation email providing your abstract number.
In case any questions arise, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
- The abstract body should be short (100–500 words), clear, concise, and written in English with correct spelling and good sentence structure.
- Mathematical symbols and equations must be typed in, and metric symbols should be used. Figures and tables cannot be included.
- Abstracts should be carefully compiled and thoroughly checked, in particular with regard to the list of authors, before submission in order to avoid last minute changes.
- The submission of an abstract carries with it the obligation that it is actually presented at the meeting by the author or, at least, by one of the co-authors.
- By submitting an abstract, authors accept the licence & copyright agreement.
- Submission of the same abstract to more than one session is not allowed. Duplicates will be rejected.
- The content of EGU General Assembly abstracts is the responsibility of their authors. EGU reserves the right to reject abstracts that are not written in English, do not meet basic standards of scientific quality, or do not adhere to conventional standards of civil discourse and common decency.
- The official language of the General Assembly 2018 is English. Simultaneous interpretation is not provided. It is therefore expected that authors are able to present their research more or less fluently in the English language.
First-author oral preference rule
Regarding the oral preference, you are allowed as first author to submit either one regular abstract plus one abstract solicited by a convener, or two solicited abstracts. Each further abstract has to be submitted with a poster preference or submitted to PICO sessions. Since the system limits oral-preference submissions to one you will need to provide a transaction number (TAN) when submitting your additional solicited abstract. This TAN can be obtained from the convener of the respective session. If you submit to a session belonging to the EOS programme group, you are allowed as first author to submit one more abstract with an oral preference (three in total).
Abstract processing charges (APCs)
- An APC of €40 gross must be paid for each abstract submission. For late abstracts (submitted by conveners after 10 January 2018) a higher APC of €80 gross will be invoiced. The strict deadline for late abstract submission is 18 January 2018, 13:00 CET.
- APCs can only be paid by credit card or PayPal.
- Abstracts are only processed and available for the session organization by conveners after the payment is completed. Please note that this is a processing charge and not a publishing fee.
- APCs are not refundable in case of an abstract withdrawal, rejection, or double submission. The charges collected cover the cost to process the abstracts whether or not one attends the meeting.
- The APC does not register you for the EGU General Assembly 2018. Separate registration fees apply.
- Solicited speakers do not receive discounted APCs, registration fees, or travel reimbursement.
Late abstract submissions
Please note that late abstract submissions are only possible by conveners by the strict deadline of 18 January 2018, 13:00 CET. These late submissions require final approval by the programme committee and will be invoiced with €80 gross. It is important to send the following information to the conveners:
- Your abstract title.
- All authors, including full first names (no initials) and last names.
- All email addresses of authors (i.e. email address of each single author).
- Your abstract text.
- Your presentation type preference.
- The billing address for invoice of the abstract processing charges.
As soon as the convener has uploaded your late abstract, you will receive further instructions regarding the payment by email.